May 21 2012
If you haven't already...take a look at
page and see who I met this weekend at
Down Syndrome Society annual conference!
Marlee, who is an Academy Award winning actress, author,
mother, and advocate, was the (amazing!) key note speaker and I
presented the following day (our Enhancing Language and Lessening
Marlee spoke on the theme of inclusion and shared her
insights from her own education and then life in Hollywood.
Just a few gems that she shared include:
The whole weekend was incredible. It was so special to
present, when I usually present to child care staff, to parents
with children with Down syndrome. It was an incredible feeling and
just an honor to present to them!
- "If you will it, it's not a dream.",
- "Walk around barriers that are put in front of
- "The formula for success for our children is our
- "Language is vitally important to teaching a child who is
- "Communication and meaning flowed into my life when I
learned how to sign"
- "Frustrations come easy when you can't communicate or
connect with the world in a way you want."